Monday 24 June 2013

Welcome

Made in Britain! 

I am so excited for our 'Made in Britain' project because the British culture has shaped the way in which the world is today! Britain was once the greatest empire in the world! There were magnificent rivers, mountains and forests named after our Kings and Queens. Britain owned half of the world and its people! However war and industry swiftly saw the destruction of this great empire and Britain fought in two major wars that crumbled the economy and brought about a time of austerity and depression. 

However the post world war two years saw the creation of Rock n' roll music!  A subject which in my opinion gave people a  voice and a purpose in life. Rock n' roll music created the concept of the teenager and new styles. In other words Britain is were the rebellion against society began. Britain created the genius' of The Beatles, David Bowie, The Who, The Jam, T-Rex, The Rolling stones and The Sex pistols.

Personally I find the era of the 60s, 70s and 80s in Britain truly fascinating. With new inventions, styles and a new way of life I find it a shocking and fantastically hypnotizing era. I have asked many people in my family and circle of friends who live through such era what it was like and all have replied in the same words 'It was nothing like it is now...it was fantastic!'.

The history of British culture during this time period is the first thing I thought of when we were introduced to the project. I immediately thought of the colours and patterns and wacky shapes of the outfits that rock stars wore, as these are fantastic inspiration for creating my own designs and garment.

Throughout my sketchbook research I have looked at designers that have shaped and changed the trends of the century such as Vivienne Westwood and the infamous Alexander McQueen who have turned clothes into an art form and redefined the orthodox way of being a designer.

Enjoy the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment